The IO-Link digital communication interface is an incredibly powerful point-to-point serial communication protocol and a crucial aspect of industry 4.0. It’s used to communicate with IO-Link sensors and actuators and allows process data, service data and events to be exchanged using a globally recognised PLC standard (IEC 61131). The IO-Link communication interface offers users a simple and cost-effective connection to controls, and allows for high level business systems and networks which are essential for any business that wishes to compete in the industry 4.0 arena.
How Does It Differ from Analogue Systems?
In stark contrast to previously used analogue systems, IO-Link devices and systems make it possible for the transfer of information as well as process data. This means that the validity of the process data (value status), the error messages (events) and the device information such as the ID, diagnosis and parameters can be transferred simultaneously.
Why Use an IO-Link Digital Communication Interface?
- Reduce your costs – Configurable IO-Link sensors and actuators reduce the variety of types required.
- Realise innovative machine concepts – Smart IO-Link devices need continuous communication with each sensor and actuator to realise their full potential.
- Shorten commissioning times – IO-Link communication runs using unshielded cables and uses industry-standard connection plugs.
- Increase productivity – IO-Link devices identify and configure themselves automatically.
- Revolutionise your maintenance and repairs – Intelligent IO-Link devices provide functions for self-diagnosis. This enables predictive maintenance concepts.
IO-Link is revolutionising communication at the field level. Data from all levels of machinery and systems are made available entirely in line with Industry 4.0, bringing potential for completely new and improved machine functions. Better and more economical production technologies are anticipated in the future with IO-Link communication.
If you want to enjoy the benefits that come with having an IO-Link digital communication interface, contact the team at HYDAC today.